THE NIKON D5
New Nikon D5 brings sheer imaging power to the hands of photographers and outperforms the odds
The most powerful camera in Nikon history blazes in with a phenomenal new autofocus system, highest standards of expanded ISO sensitivity, turbocharged workflow, and exceptional durability, for superlative flexibility to shoot both stills and 4K movies.
Pretoria – South Africa, 06 January 2016 – The next-generation flagship model that expands photographic possibilities for professional photographers, the Nikon D5, is announced by Nikon in South Africa. today. This latest Nikon-FX format DSLR camera is developed with advanced specifications that include significantly improved moving subject acquisition capabilities, and compelling image quality at high sensitivities to enable excellent response to a wide variety of scenes and subjects.
D5 Primary Features
1. Swift response, astounding tracking
• New AF system that demonstrates excellent response to moving subjects and tracking performance, even under a variety of circumstances: Pivotal moments happen in the blink of an eye, and photographers are constantly on their toes to capture the action regardless of the lighting conditions. These needs are addressed with a complete overhaul of the D5’s AF system with an adoption of the Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module. The AF sensor module offers 153 focus points, 99 of which are cross-type sensors, for broad and dense coverage of the image area. The centre focus point has a detection range beginning at an incredible −4 EV, and detection with other focus points begins at −3 EV*1, enabling autofocusing even under extremely dim lighting, and with subjects exhibiting very low contrast. In addition, equipping the camera with a dedicated AF engine capable of high-speed calculation and collaboration with the 180K-pixel RGB sensor have ensured that extremely reliable AF performance is demonstrated with a variety of scenes.
2. Incessant clicks without missing a beat
• High-speed continuous shooting at approximately 12 fps with a stable viewfinder image that makes tracking moving subjects easy: Photographers will find their new photography companion being capable of approximately 12 fps*2 continuous shooting with AF and AE tracking in all image quality modes, and across all ISO sensitivity settings. The addition of a new mirror drive mechanism achieves a more stable viewfinder image that makes constant tracking of rapidly moving subjects easy. Matching to the pace is the accessibility of capturing up to 200*3 12-bit lossless compressed RAW images with a single burst
3. Expressions unbound with bold image storytelling
• Higher standard ISO sensitivities that ensure superior image quality within the most frequently used high sensitivity range: The potent combination between the new Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor and the new EXPEED 5 image-processing engine have enabled the highest standard ISO sensitivity in Nikon history of up to ISO 102400. High-sensitivity image quality at these never-before-seen levels achieves superior imaging quality, even within the high ISO 3200 to 12800 range that is often used with sports photography and the likes. In addition, the image sensor’s broad dynamic range enables rich and natural expression of tones for accurate reproduction of the finest details, even extremely vivid subjects with difficult texture expressions.
4. Taking the director’s seat in ultra high definition
• Cinematic brilliance with 4K UHD (30p) movie capability: The D5 supports 4K movies, which offers higher resolution than HD or Full-HD movies, capable of recording 4K UHD (3840 × 2160)/30p, 25p, 24p movies to a memory card inserted in the camera. Alternatively with a simultaneous HDMI output, movies can also be displayed on an external monitor or recorded as uncompressed video to an external recorder. With the maximum standard sensitivity of ISO 102400, as well as even higher sensitivity settings up to Hi 5 (equivalent to ISO 3280000), superior picture quality is still assured even when recording movies at these high sensitivities. Rounding off the spectacular movie-making experience is the capability to generate 4K UHD time-lapse movies in-camera.
5. Advanced specifications for on-site demands and efficient workflow
• A high-resolution 3.2-inch, approximately 2,359k-dot touch screen LCD monitor: Adoption of a touch screen for the display monitor enables nimble confirmation and high-speed navigation of a large number of images using a frame advance bar, and supports an efficient workflow with text input and the like. The high-resolution monitor enables extremely clear display with live view photography, even when the display is enlarged, for fast focus confirmation.
• Greatly increased communications performance with both wired and wireless networks: The communications system has been significantly improved to support communications at least twice as fast as with the D4S, with both wired networks using the Ethernet connector built into the D5, and wireless networks when the new Wireless Transmitter H1401 (available separately) is used with the D5.
• Versatile image storage options: Two versions of the D5 are available. Both are equipped with double memory card slots supporting a single media type, one being for XQD cards and the other for CompactFlash cards.
6. Bridging the gap of networks
• The Wireless Transmitter WIRELESS TRANSMITTER WT-6, available separately, comes handy for high-speed wireless network communications: When connected to the D5, high-speed transfer of image data to a computer*4 or an FTP server over a wireless network is possible with a maximum range of approximately 200 m*5. Communications are significantly faster with support for the new IEEE 802.11ac (2×2 VHT80) standard. Wireless control over the camera from a computer is also possible using Camera Control Pro 2 (available separately). With the WIRELESS TRANSMITTER WT-6 connected to a D5, the combination also serves as a wireless LAN access point, enabling possibilities of direct connection to a computer or smartphone.
*1 At ISO 100, 20 °C/68 °F
*2 Possible in Continuous high speed (CH) release mode with shutter speeds of 1/250 seconds or faster
*3 When Lexar Professional 2933× XQD 2.0 memory cards are used
*4 The Wireless Transmitter Utility (available for download from Nikon’s website) must be installed on the computer
*5 With a large antenna at the wireless LAN access point. Range varies with signal strength and presence or absence of obstacles
For more: http://goo.gl/UsozGU
THE NIKON D500
PRO CAPABILITY, DX AGILITY: THE NEW NIKON D500 ESTABLISHES A NEW ERA OF DX-FORMAT PERFORMANCE
The Highly Anticipated Resurrection of the DX-Format Flagship Gives Photographers the Best Combination of Speed, Reach and Connectivity
A DX-format DSLR with pro-level features that gives photographers nimble handling, speed and extreme processing power in a compact and lightweight body. With amazing imaging capability, robust build quality and lightning fast performance, the D500 is sure to satisfy as the highly sought-after successor to the venerable D300S. Like its sibling the D5, the D500 benefits from Nikon’s latest technological innovations such as the totally new, blazing-fast Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system and 4K UHD video capture, yet adds a fun new way to share photos with Nikon SnapBridge built-in.
PRO-LEVEL IMAGE QUALITY, DX-FORMAT VERSATILITY
The D500 imagines the best of both worlds, offering advanced enthusiasts and pro photographers all the benefits of DX-format, such as smaller form-factor and lens crop, combined with many of the same advanced pro features found in the new Nikon D5. The new Nikon D500 features an all-new 20.9-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor that renders images with outstanding colors and gorgeous tonality. This new sensor is coupled with Nikon’s new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, affording low noise and maximum processing power with a surprisingly small footprint and superbly balanced body.
The benefits of the DX-format are evident for long-distance applications like wildlife and sports photography, where telephoto ability is at a premium and weight reduction is welcome. With Nikon’s legendary FX or smaller-sized DX-format NIKKOR lenses, the sleek D500 is the ideal companion for wanderlust. When mated with the new AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens, the D500 offers a remarkable 350-750mm equivalent focal range for a lightweight, yet super-telephoto duo.
Because amazing images can happen even when the sun goes down, the D500 is capable of excellent low-light performance, with an ISO range of 100-51 200, expandable to 50-1 640 000 equivalent. From low-light cityscapes to action sports under the lights, the D500 is ready to tackle any imaging challenge.
PERFORMANCE MEETS PORTABILITY
Within the streamlined body of the D500 is a formidable processing powerhouse. Whether photographing sideline sports for the home team or animals in exotic destinations, a super-fast 10 frames-per-second (fps) burst speed with full AF and AE (autofocus and auto exposure) will help nail nearly any shot. This extreme speed lets users capture every fleeting moment in exceptional clarity, while a generous buffer allows for up to 79 shots (14-bit, uncompressed RAW/NEF) to be captured, so the moment won’t be missed.
To keep pace with the action, the D500 is fitted with the same AF system as the Nikon D5, the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module, with a separate dedicated processor for AF function. On the D500’s DX format sensor, the 153-point AF array fills the frame from side to side, letting users flawlessly track and lock-onto subjects from the edges of the viewfinder. Like the D5, the D500 utilizes the new 180K RGB Metering system and Advanced Scene Recognition System to help ensure balanced exposures and fantastic colour rendition in nearly any shooting situation.
CONTROLS AND RUGGED CONSTRUCTION WORTHY OF A FLAGSHIP
The D500 features an enhanced level of robust build quality, offering the same amount of rugged weather sealing as the Nikon D810. The durable body is a monocoque structure composed of magnesium alloy for the top and rear, while the front is reinforced with lightweight carbon fibre. The shutter mechanism has been tested for 200K actuations, helping to ensure maximum endurance. For further durability, the D500 excludes a pop-up flash, yet is compatible with Nikon’s newest radio frequency capable flash, the SB-5000 Speedlight (with optional WR-R10 & WR-A10)1.
It’s easy to compose and view images on the D500’s bright 3.2-inch, high resolution (2359K-dot) touchscreen LCD, which lets users interact with photos in playback, control the camera and operate menus. When mounted on a tripod or shooting from creative angles, landscape and event shooters will appreciate the reinforced tilting LCD screen, similar to that of the Nikon D750. Additionally, images are rapidly written to either a fast XQD card slot or to the additional SD card slot for maximum workflow efficiency.
CONSTANT CONNECTIVITY WITH THE NEW NIKON SNAPBRIDGE
The D500 marshals in a new way to share photos wirelessly with the new Nikon SnapBridge, making the camera’s built-in connectivity easier to use than ever before. SnapBridge allows for Bluetooth2 supported connection between your camera and compatible smart device, thus making automatic upload of your images possible. Once enabled, the camera stays connected to the smart device and transfers photos, eliminating the need to re-connect devices. Those looking to share images from their travels or from the field can also tag images for transfer in camera and can password protect their connection for added security. As an added benefit, the D500’s built-in Near Field Communication (NFC)3 capability easily connects the camera to a compatible smart device with just a tap, while built-in Wi-Fi3 capability allows for faster wireless image transfer.
For those looking for an even faster transfer solution, the D500 is also compatible with the new optional WT-7A Wireless Transmitter, enabling wired or wireless transmission of files to an FTP server or computer at faster speeds.
ADVANCED VIDEO FEATURES
Just like the D5, the D500 has the ability to capture striking 4K UHD video at up to 30p (3840×2160), as well as Full HD (1080p) video at a variety of frame rates. Ready for any production, the camera sports a host of pro video features derived from the D810, including uncompressed HDMI output and Picture Controls, but adds even more great features. These pro-level creative video features include the ability to create 4K time-lapse movies in-camera, Auto ISO smoothing to provide fluid transitions in exposure during recording, and the capability to record 4K UHD video to the card and output to HDMI simultaneously. When capturing 1080p Full HD content, the camera also has a new 3-axis electronic VR feature that can be activated regardless of the lens being used. Challenging video exposures are no problem for the D500, as it also adds in Active D-Lighting to Full HD video to balance exposure values within a scene to help prevent blown-out highlights.
*1 – Wireless Remote Controller WR-R10 and WR Adapter WR-A10 (both available separately) required. WR-R10 firmware must be updated to enable support for radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting (see Nikon’s website).
*2 – The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Nikon Corporation is under license.
*3 – Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance. N-Mark is a trademark or registered trademark of NFC Forum, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries.
For more: http://goo.gl/C9Xb5a
NIKON KEYMISSION 360
A new 360° experience with Nikon
Nikon enters the immersive action camera category with the introduction of its latest innovation, the new KeyMission 360
Pretoria – South Africa, 06 January 2016 – Built on the technical excellence of optical and image-processing technologies that Nikon is known for, Nikon’s development of the action camera category has been proudly announced today by Nikon in South Africa.
The Nikon KeyMission 360, a wearable action camera capable of recording 360° video in 4K UHD, is the first to be introduced. Creating an experience that is true to life and in all degrees, the camera provides the absolute imaging experience for its users.
“The new KeyMission 360 is a technological breakthrough that begins with the Nikon expertise in imaging technology and onto the innovative direction of providing our users with the best experience there is with a camera. We’re not only broadening our ecosystem, but also the possibilities for our users in capturing their adventures and journeys,” said Grant Norton, Head of Sales for Nikon in South Africa. “We begin this immersive journey of storytelling through a reliable companion that views the world in true 360 degrees.”
With an image sensor and lens combination on two opposite sides of the camera, captured images are combined in-camera to create a single realistic and high definition true 360° image output. Ready to go on the striking journalistic experiences, noteworthy life’s milestones, or even soul-searching journeys, the camera is waterproof to the depths of 30 meters even without a separate housing. It also measures up reliably against dust, shock, and low temperatures, with its design ready to facilitate a wide spectrum of outdoor and leisure activities. Completing the design also includes an electronic vibration reduction mechanism, which is enabled via applications during playback, for a reduction of the effects of camera shake.
The reference models for the KeyMission 360 will be exhibited at the Nikon booth of CES 2016, one of the world’s largest consumer electronics show. CES 2016 will be held from January 6 to January 9 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area.
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacture.
For more: http://goo.gl/p2bFFX
THE NIKON SB-5000
Illuminating A Photographer’s Vision: New Nikon Speedlight SB-5000 Presents Control And Agility In A Compact Form
The first Speedlight from Nikon to be equipped with a radio control function is engineered with the latest high-output, multi-functional features for photographers
Pretoria – South Africa, 06 January 2016 – Expanding the potential of every photographer’s artistic engagement and experiment with lighting is the new Nikon Speedlight SB-5000 announced by Nikon today. Enabled with radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting function, and a cooling system that enables more than 100 continuous full-power flashes, this Speedlight is a compelling addition to the Nikon ecosystem.
“Conventional optical control can be complicated at times, and photographers may spend more time fixing up their camera than taking photos, just to get their lighting conditions right. The new Speedlight SB-5000 resolves that, saves time, and enhances creative lighting flexibility with its radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting function*1 and new intuitive control panel,” said Grant Norton, Head of Sales for Nikon in South Africa. “A compact Speedlight with a cooling system to enable up to 120 consecutive flashes at 5-second intervals, it delivers the desired control into every professional photographer’s hands and in any lighting requirements.”
Speedlight SB-5000 Primary Features
- Minimal complexity, additional creativity
- Ideal lighting condition is among the key prerequisites to a photography session in the studio, or even on location. Yet when remote flash units are positioned behind objects or at greater distances, or should ambient lighting be too bright, numerous adjustments will be required. The SB-5000’s radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL)*1 function eliminates such hassles to give photographers their choice lighting positions and exposures*2. A high output flash with guide numbers of 34.5 in FX-format and 41 in DX-format further provides a wider flexibility in preferred coverage.*3
- Reduce downtime and accelerate productivity
- Speeding up efficiency is a new cooling system that cools the flash head, preventing overheating and significantly increasing the number of continuous flashes.
- Smart design for practicality
- Photographers are able to fiddle less with controls and instead, have the liberty to enjoy their shooting assignment with the refinement of controls. A number of functions are assigned to the rotary multi selector and ‘OK’ button, while the ‘i’ button provides a convenient access to frequently-used functions.
Automatic adjustments of the zoom head position to match a lens focal length*4 also comes easy with the power zoom function. This Speedlight also presents optimal angle of flash coverage from an automatic switching of the zoom head position as it detects a camera’s image area setting of FX- or DX-format. Rounding up design functionality of the significantly compact and small Speedlight, is a bounce capability of the flash head to tilt down to 7° or up to 90°, and a horizontal rotation of 180° to the left and right.
*1 Compatible with Nikon D5 and later cameras.
*2 Wireless Remote Controller WR-R10 and WR Adapter WR-A10 (both available separately) required. WR-R10 firmware must be updated to enable support for radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting (refer to Nikon’s website for more information)
*3 At ISO 100, m/ft, 35mm zoom head position, standard illumination pattern
*4 For FX-format, Standard illumination pattern: 24-200 mm (14 mm with the built-in wide panel in place). For DX-format, Standard illumination pattern: 16-200 mm (10 mm with the built-in wide panel in place)
For more: http://goo.gl/1g8xbl
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image. Nikon is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognised for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon in South Africa distributes consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, NIKKOR optics, Speedlights and system accessories; Nikon COOLPIX compact digital cameras; Nikon sports optics as well as the Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lens system. For more information, visit www.nikon.co.za.